If You Want the Best, Hire the Vest
Olathe Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
Experienced and Accessible Representation in Johnson County
Domestic violence allegations can be seriously damaging. From jail time to fines to a tarnished reputation, you will face a range of consequences if convicted. At The Law Offices of Tel Parrett, I am committed to defending the accused and protecting their rights as a defendant. I have a vast toolbox of legal strategies to help you out of your situation, and I take an adaptable approach to my practice to ensure you get the quality representation you need to combat your accusations. When you work with me on your defense, you can expect accessible and communicative advocacy every step of the way.
Schedule a free initial consultation with The Law Offices of Tel Parrett to learn more. Defending clients in Johnson County, including Lenexa, Overland Park, and Shawnee.
What Constitutes Domestic Violence?
Kansas defines a crime of domestic violence as a defendant’s act or threat of violence against a person who is a family or household member or a current or former dating partner. Such acts or threats include physical attacks (hitting, kicking, pulling hair, etc.) as well as non-physical threats, such as harassing, stalking, or vandalizing the person’s property.
In short, an offense is considered domestic violence if the violence or threat of violence was directed at one of the following types of victims:
- current or former spouses;
- current or former cohabitants;
- stepparents or stepchildren;
- pregnant mothers and alleged fathers;
- individuals in a dating/romantic relationship.
Several crimes addressed by Kansas’ domestic violence laws if they have been committed against one of the above classes of victims include:
- Domestic battery – knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm to one of the above classes of victims
- Aggravated domestic battery – knowingly impeding the other person’s normal breathing or blood circulation by blocking their nose or mouth
- Assault – knowingly placing a person in fear of immediate bodily harm
- Stalking – recklessly engaging in conduct causing a specific person to fear for their or their family’s safety
- Violating a protective order – violating any terms of an abuse order or restraining order, whether directly or indirectly, such as by contacting or harming the protected individual
Penalties for Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is penalized based on the nature and severity of the offense, and it can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony:
- Domestic battery – Class B misdemeanor punishable by 48 hours to 6 months in jail and/or $200-$500 in fines; a second offense within 5 years is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by 90 days to 1 year in jail and $500-$1,000 in fines; a third or subsequent offense within 5 years is a felony punishable by 90 days to 1 year in jail and $1,000-$7,500 in fines
- Aggravated domestic battery – severity level 7 felony punishable by up to 13 months in prison and $100,000 in fines
- Assault – Class C misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine
- Stalking – Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and $2,500 in fines
- Violating a protective order – Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and $2,500 in fines
Individuals convicted of domestic violence will also lose their rights to possess firearms for at least 5 years following the conviction.
If you have been accused of domestic violence in Olathe, Kansas, do not hesitate to contact an experienced defense lawyer for legal representation. I can take a deeper look at your case to strategize a defense adaptable to your situation, and I will remain easily accessible to you throughout the course of your case so you can feel assured about your outcome. Don’t risk your rights in the face of a wrongful or harsh allegation; let me put my best foot forward to combat your charges as best as I can.
Schedule a free consultation with me at The Law Offices of Tel Parrett to get started today.
15 Years of Legal Experience
Skilled & Capable Legal Counsel
Highly Accessible & Responsive to Clients
Effective Communication Throughout Your Case